Sunday, April 29, 2012

2 Year Well Visit


This past Thursday afternoon Clare and I went to visit NP Clare for her 2year well check up.   As we were getting dressed that morning I told Clare that I was going to pick her up early and we were going to go see the Doctor, to which she replied ‘Doctor look in ears?’  I was surprised she remembered the last time she was there and why. 

I picked Clare up and we headed to our appointment. On our way I told her that we were going to see Clare and that when she walked in Clare could say ‘Hi Clare’.  Clare thought this was pretty funny and kept repeating ‘when lady walk in say Hi Clare!’ and then laughing.  When we walked up to the front door she asked to go look at the fish, again I was surprised how she had remembered that from the last time we were there.  So, as she went to check out the fish I checked us in. 

Fortunately our wait wasn’t long and we were back in room 8 getting ready for the official weigh in.  Clare officially weighed in at 30lbs 10.8oz and 35 ½ inches tall with a head circumference of 50cm, which is the 97%; we knew she had big brains. 

NP Clare came in after a few more minutes and was thrilled to see Clare.  Clare said hello, but didn’t say her rehearsed Hi Clare!  I guess the moment got the best of her.  Clare did start talking to NP Clare and showing her the neat-o paper table paper tube that the nurse gave her.  We started talking about her development and discussing how completely awesome and amazing she is.  NP Clare asked how many words she knew, she knew 80+ at 18 months, and honestly we have no idea, too many to count.  NP Clare then showed Clare a group of pictures, a cat, horse, bird, dog and a man, and asked her what each one was, she knew each one except the last one, although once NP Clare asked her if it was a Dada she replied that it was a boy.  For what it’s worth I’m now convinced that the picture of a man was confusing, she could have labeled it a boy, a man, or a Dada (NP Clare called it a Dada).   After identifying each one NP Clare then asked which one meowed, Clare pointed to the cat, which one talked, Clare pointed to the man, and which one galloped.  I looked at NP Clare with a look of seriously?  To no surprise Clare didn’t know which one galloped, although now we’re talking a lot about how horses gallop, she’ll nail that question next time.  Overall, NP Clare was very pleased and indicated that she responded to the questions at a 3½ year old level.  I wonder how many 3 year olds know that a horse gallops? 

After Clare got all checked out she was determined to get dressed, so she dressed herself; proving to NP Clare that she could indeed dress herself, which had been an earlier question.  We talked a little bit more, discussing potty training, time outs (or lack there of) and eating.  NP Clare seemed to think that potty training wouldn’t be too much of a challenge and that our goal of August was attainable. 

Unfortunately Clare did have to get one shot, her last Hep A shot, and she took it like a champ.  While waiting for the nurse to come back in a little girl in the room across the hall began to cry, Clare asked why she was crying and I told her that maybe she was sad, to which Clare said ‘no crying baby, it’s ok.’  I asked Clare if she was going to cry when the nurse gave her the medicine, she said ‘no, no crying’.  The nurse finally came back and told Clare she needed to give her some medicine, so Clare sat on my lap and held onto Bunny.  The shot was quick and Clare only cried for maybe 15 seconds, nothing major and she was fine by the time the nurse put the Band-Aid, or sticker as Clare called it, on.  I was so proud of Clare; she was such a big girl.

So, Clare is officially right on track with all of her development, growing like a weed and talking up a storm and we couldn’t be happier.   

No comments:

Post a Comment