Monday, September 19, 2011

IKEA


IKEA opened in July, there was all sorts of buzz about it, people waiting for 3 days just to be the first in the door, traffic was all kinds of fouled up for days, it seemed like everyone who was someone was going to IKEA.  Not being one for big crowds I decided to wait until the hype died down a bit and visit on a slow Monday morning.  Our plan worked.

Clare and I got dressed and headed out the door for our IKEA adventure, snacks packed, extra sippy cup in the bag and the camera of course.  Everything I’ve heard is that the place is HUGE and to take snacks for Clare since we’d be there for hours. 

Parking was easy, we pulled right into a space only about 12 from the door, and then rode up the escalator two flights to the main entrance where we were greeted with the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls and funny looking carts.  I wasn’t sure how to work the cart, apparently you hang a huge yellow bag on it rather than it having a basket, very weird, however not the weirdest part of the cart.  The cart has wheels, obviously, that look normal, but they are some sort of fancy Swedish 360 degree wheels, you can push the cart in any direction at any time, its as though it’s sliding across the floor, very weird.  






















After figuring out the cart and riding the worlds largest elevator down to the first floor (apparently you can’t enter on the first floor?) we arrived in what seemed like the worlds largest furniture show room, wonderful if you’re looking for new bedroom furniture, living room furniture or a dining room set, but not so awesome if you’re looking for the kids section.  Fortunately, there are maps all over the place and secret ‘short cuts’; the short cut to the kid’s section was hidden on a wall of sofa beds, I happened to see another person go thru the grey doors, like some secret passage way.  Once we got into the kids section it was pretty neat. 

We walked around and saw lots of cool things.  I picked up some plates and bowls that have been highly recommended and checked out some of the bedding.  They had some great furniture, I could see shopping here for Clare’s ‘Big Girl’ room someday.  While looking around we came across a moose wearing socks, and for $4.99 he jumped in the cart, err bag I mean. Clare had fun playing with him as I looked at more stuff.  We also found what will be her play table and chairs, although she had absolutely no interest in playing with them or the toys on them, not sure what that was all about.  I also found a mini chair like the chair I hope to have someday should we ever move.  The only other things we added to our giant yellow bag were some finger puppets and farm animals, a placemat, oh and a mouse wearing a crown. 

Mama, this moose is wearing 'ocks!' 






















The other area I wanted to look at was 'Wall Decoration and Mirrors' or picture frames, I follow the YHL blog where they swear by all things IKEA and have a million picture frames, I love them and want to do something similar with our hallway someday.  I didn’t end up buying any, but know just where they are when the time comes.  I love some of the ideas from this blog, I wish Jeff and I were ¼ as DIY savvy as they are.

Conveniently located next to the picture frame section was a bathroom.  I couldn’t believe how clean it was!  Clare enjoyed being able to wash her hands.























After a second run thru the kids section, to put back a book and toy I decided against, I was channeling my inner Jeff and expressing self control, we headed back up/down to the check out. 

All in all it was a great morning.  We spent 2 hours looking around and daydreaming about decorating a new house and thinking of all the neat things I could do for a fairly decent dollar.  Clare was an excellent shopping partner as always, she only dropped her goldfish once and didn’t get antsy at all.  We only saw one person we knew, I half expected to see more, and purchased the obligatory blue bag (I found a small one that 3 clerks commented on asking where I’d found it).  After checking out I stopped in the Marketplace to get some Swedish meatballs, apparently they are the IKEA staple and really good; we’ll find out at dinner if they are really all that.

I’m glad we visited IKEA and I think we’ll go back soon.  I’m going to do my best in expressing self-control and not go back until we move, there are so many things I want to have but just don’t have a place for them now.  It really was a neat store and an experience everyone should have, just not on a weekend when it’s packed to the gills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment