After sending Jeff back to the entrance for a map, don’t worry, we weren’t too far from the door, we headed towards the elephants. Clare enjoyed watching the elephants and even got to hear one of them trumpet. There were two big crates in their area, they were there so the elephants could get used to them before they are put in them to move to their new area that’s being built. One elephant was playing with the crate, banging his trunk against the sides and then let out a joyful trumpet, it was pretty fun to watch and Clare loved it.
Hey Dada, look at those!
This elephants name is Mimi.
Also close to the entrance where the Kangaroos, there were a number of them just lounging in the shade. Unfortunately there weren’t any Joey’s.
Clare was also interested in the birds, good thing they were everywhere! We were watching the pelicans when we found some monkeys in the trees. Jeff was less than excited about the hiding monkeys, for some reason he’s convinced they are always watching and plotting against him.
Possibly the most exciting part of the entire day was the carousel. We patiently waited our turn and then found the perfect cheetah for our ride. Clare absolutely loved the carousel; she wasn’t scared and smiled the entire time. I think we could have spent the entire day riding the carousel and she would have been happy.
After the carousel was the train. We had to wait a bit, which was hard for a certain someone, but once we got on the train we had fun. The train ride took us on a loop where we saw flamingos, the edges of the primate panorama, and the outskirts of Bird World, which was close enough for us. Jeff and I especially enjoyed how close we were able to sit on the train, LOL; lesson learned one adult per seat.
Jeff did his best to keep her entertained while we waited, he can be pretty silly.
We found our way to the Primate Panorama; I couldn’t make a trip to the zoo and not see the monkeys and gorillas! There were lots of different kinds of monkeys to look at, 7 acres worth to be exact. It was inside here that Clare visited the oldest animal at the zoo; I regret to say I forget her name, but she was very sweet and smiled at Clare. As you can see, Clare wasn’t so sure about getting so close.
Mama, that gorilla is taking a nap.
Next up after the primates were the pachyderms, Clare visited with a 28 year old rhino named George who was taking a nap and a hippo that was going for a swim.
Dada look at that!!!
Lunch was the next stop on our tour; Clare made the best choice with her hot dog and fruit. Everywhere you look you see people with coolers and picnics, I think they have the right idea. Next time we’ll be bringing our own lunch.
After lunch it was getting close to naptime but I really wanted to see the giraffes, so off to Felines and Giraffe Meadows it was. We were fortunate in that we were able to catch a lion taking a nap, Clare thought it was pretty funny and kept laughing at it.
We also saw 3 zebras lined up as though they were waiting for the bus.
A quick stop in the gift shop topped off our first visit to the zoo, I wanted Clare to have a stuffed animal take home. She picked a giraffe over an elephant, Jeff said we could get both but I tried to express self control, who knows, maybe an elephant will come home with us next time. Clare laughs when the giraffe gives her kisses, it’s pretty funny.
It was a long hot day, but we all had a great time, I can see us going back when the weather gets a bit cooler. I appreciated that it wasn’t too crowded; we were able to see everything and didn’t have to fight crowds. We did see one person we knew, Alina and her sister were there with Sophia as part of Sophia’s 1st Birthday weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment