Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Peach Picture Dress

The Peach Picture Dress is a dress that my Grandmother bought in 1947 for my Aunt Ann’s First Birthday pictures. It’s a peach corduroy dress with a white collar and a bit of lace, the cap sleeves also have a bit of lace. Two years later my mother wore the dress in her First Birthday pictures. In 1981 I wore the dress in my First Birthday pictures and then in 1986 my cousin Mary wore the dress for her First Birthday pictures, you could say the dress is a tradition in the Tarbutton/Evans family.

I scheduled Clare’s First Birthday pictures with Ann for Monday April 25th, but the weather was awful, so we moved them to May 2nd, almost exactly a year after her newborn pictures. I knew that I wanted Clare to wear the Peach Picture Dress and her new Hannah shirt; I was most excited to get pictures of her in the dress. Clare didn’t mind dressing up, the tights weren’t her favorite but she tolerated them well, getting them on her was somewhat like wrestling cats into a burlap sack, but it was worth it. The shoes were a hit, while way too big, she enjoyed tapping them against the paper.

No, the dress may not be trendy, modern, or necessarily ‘her style’ but I think she looks absolutely beautiful and perfect, my heart melts when I see the pictures. Maybe it was selfish of me to have her picture taken in the dress, but I know it means a lot to my family. I can’t wait to frame her picture with the picture of me; I know that it will be something I will love looking at for years to come.

As always Ann did an excellent job capturing Clare’s personality in the pictures.




















My mother on her First Birthday


Me on my First Birthday.



1 comment:

  1. I love the histoy behind the Peach Picture Dress! Clare looked amazing! I'm so glad that included Chrissy in the photo session as well. :)

    ReplyDelete