Sunday, January 8, 2012

Basement Playroom

One of the things we were looking for in our new home was a finished basement with enough room for Clare to run and play.  When we first saw this basement we knew it would be perfect; it has huge windows, with some great views, letting in lots of natural light, and has enough room for playing, learning, lounging, growing and making memories.  Two of the four bedrooms are also in the basement, as is one of the three bathrooms, this made us like it even more, I envision teenage Clare (and her siblings?) retreating to the basement to watch TV, hang with her friends and basically ‘live’ down there. 

Until today the basement of our dreams was cluttered with more storage totes than any one woman should have, making it a no-play zone.  So, during Clare’s marathon 4-hour nap this afternoon we tackled the basement. The first thing we had to do was clean out the garage, no small task.  Thankfully Jeff is an expert when it comes to cleaning the garage, he had it organized and strategized in no time.  As I brought out the storage totes full of various baby items he got them stacked on our new shelves.  The boxes of china from my Mother were carefully placed on shelves, the boxes of Christmas decorations and the tree were put away, the camping stuff consolidated, and the boxes of ‘not sure what’s in there but we NEED it’ were all put away with care.  I must say; the garage looks awesome. 

When all was said and done the main room in the basement was everything Clare.  Her Cozy Coupe was ready to roll, her shopping cart ready to carry anything and everything, Jeff even unpacked the floor letters that she received for Christmas last year.  After Clare woke up and had some lunch I took her down there to check it out, she was thrilled!! 
















Jeff found a bowling medal in a box of stuff, he gave it to Clare who proudly wore it around.
















Clare has started taking us by the hand and walking with us as her way to get us to do what she wants.  She'll walk right up to you, take your hand, and lead you to what it is she wants you to do.  It's pretty darn cute.
















I found Hush Puppy in a box of Edgemont things, I figured maybe she'd enjoy playing with him.  She wasn't so sure about him, she was willing to push him in the wagon, but then promptly asked for him to sit on the ledge up out of the way.






















That's not how you get out of the car Clare!
















Old toys are like new when you haven't seen them since April.  Jeff and I both remember all the words to the songs that it plays, 'if you're thirsty, take a drink....'

















Clare was a big help when it came to unpacking the toys.
















I’m so glad this project is complete; it was a lot of work.  Having all her toys in the basement is so nice; she can be down there and play until her hearts content.  We still need to assemble her kitchen, unpack a few more boxes of toys, get a TV and some storage, but I think it’s the best playroom around.

Oh, if you come over to visit, don’t open the door to the 4th bedroom, it’s a ‘work in progress’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment