Monday, May 31, 2010

Three Years Ago...

Three years ago this weekend the summer of 2007 began. I was excited for summer and relieved that the busy spring preparation was over, the pools were finally open and running – mission accomplished. My friend and co-worker Sarah left South Suburban to work for Boulder her going away party was at The Fox and Hound in Lone Tree. I had gone home early in the afternoon for a bike ride, my new favorite activity, and then went to the party; I arrived a little late but figured it was better late than never.

I remember sitting and talking with friends and drinking a diet coke. I knew the guy sitting across from me, but nothing more than his name and where he worked. He was wearing a navy blue Better Than Ezra t-shirt and khaki shorts. He didn’t have much to say, but then again the conversation between myself and the other person wasn’t very interesting. Sarah must have ordered up some shots because some arrived; I wasn’t real excited about it but whatever. I remember him telling me that I probably wouldn’t like it, he had already drunk his and he didn’t really like it. I tried to politely pass, but Sarah was having none of it. After a minute or two of my not drinking it she turned and to talk to someone else, I took this opportunity to see if anyone else wanted mine; he kindly exchanged glasses with me so it appeared that mine was gone and drank mine for me.

A while later this guy asked if maybe I’d like to go to dinner sometime. I was floored! I recall my answer being something similar to ‘sure, why not!’ After all, we all know I like to eat. I wrote my phone number on a piece of paper and gave it to him; a few minutes later my phone rang showing a number I didn’t recognize, it turned out to be a number I would come to know well.

Three years ago today I went up to Summit County to ride my new bike, I was so excited to finally have a bike again and wanted to see if I could hang with the real road bikers of Summit County. I set out to ride around Lake Dillon and ended up riding 25+ miles on some of the most beautiful roads and trails of Summit County. I stopped at one point because my phone was ringing and I needed a break. The number that came up was the same number that I’d received that Friday night. My stomach sank, I was too nervous to answer so I let it go to voice mail. He left a message saying that he was out walking his dog and wondered what I was up to and to give him a call. My first thought? Oh Lord, he has a dog!

I finally got the nerve to call him back and we talked briefly, it was apparent that neither of us were real keen on talking on the phone. We arranged a dinner date for Thursday and agreed that we’d talk again and decide upon a place and time. Thursday finally came and we met for dinner at CB and Potts. I arrived a few minutes early, plenty of time for me to get worked up and nervous while waiting for him. He finally arrived and we sat down for dinner. The food was OK the drinks were kept full and the conversation was easy and lasted all evening. I have no memory of what time it was, but we were the last people in the dining room and had to be asked to either leave or move to the bar area as the restaurant was closing. We decided to end our evening there but we did agree that we should get together again.

Three years ago I wrote my number on a piece of paper for someone I didn’t know, that piece of paper is still in the kitchen drawer today. Three years ago I received a phone number that I now know by heart and smile when I see come up on my phone. Three years ago I went to dinner with someone I didn’t know and had a great time. Three years ago this weekend I met the most important person in my life and I have never been the same.

Three years ago this weekend Jeff and I started dating. For the last three years I have been happier than I knew I could be and have learned more than I could have imagined. I am forever grateful for that night at the Fox and Hound, had I not gone I would have missed out on meeting my best friend and the love of my life.

This is the first picture of the two of us, taken at the Rockies-vs-Yankees game. I e-mailed him earlier that afternoon asking if he liked baseball, little did I know he loved baseball and that we would be spending many hours together at Coors Field. I didn’t actually have tickets to the sold out game that afternoon, I figured I’d see if he even wanted to go before tracking down tickets. I paid a pretty penny for those tickets, but it was worth every cent, I recall he was impressed that I had tickets (I hadn’t told him I didn’t have tickets until that afternoon). A funny note about this game - - The people sitting behind us picked up a copy of the Rockies magazine they found on the ground and asked if we would like to read it; Jeff replied that we were good and no thanks. The guy then asked if his wife would like to read it. Jeff looked at me and said ‘get used to it’ :)

Thank you for a wonderful three years. I can't wait to see what the next three years brings us. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I hadn't heard many/any of those stories!

    ReplyDelete