Everything I read indicates that babies this young should be awake for 4-5 hours per day on average. Clare must be striving to be some sort of over achiever as she's been asleep for maybe 5 hours today. I heard my Mothers voice in the back of my mind this afternoon, telling me I was tired and if I were to just take a nap I'd feel better - being the child I was I refused to believe her. I now know how right she was as this is what I found myself telling Clare this afternoon. What happened to our good sleeper??
Our first day on our own was filled with lots of screaming due to being overtired and my trying everything I could think of to calm her and get her to sleep. We tried looking in the mirror and talking about how beautiful she was, reading some books, listening to music, watching TV, sitting in the bouncy seat and lying down together. We did get two short naps in – long enough for me to take a shower and eat some lunch. It’s the small victories that matter as Jeff pointed out.
Jeff went back to work today, both Clare and I hated to see him leave this morning. It hit me around 11:30 that this was it, just the two of us; there wasn't anyone to help or take turns with. We both missed him and were very glad to see him come home.
Tomorrow Clare and I will venture out on our own for the first time. Car rides, and rides in the stroller; seem to help her get to sleep – if you see my driving I-25 to Ft. Collins tomorrow you’ll know why. I doubt we’ll get a walk in as the news is talking about snow for tomorrow and Wednesday. I’m hoping a trip to PetsMart and Target do the trick and she has a better day tomorrow.
Kai has been a good dog, but you can tell she’s missing the attention. Tonight as Clare was on the ‘baby channel’ (video monitor) Kai was all sorts of confused, she could hear her screaming but she was nowhere to be found. She’s tried to help, even went upstairs to check on Clare, and offer her a tennis ball; unfortunately it didn’t stop the cries. I try to throw the ball for her every afternoon but that alone is not nearly the attention she’s used to or wants, hopefully the weather will warm up and we’ll go for lots of walks.
It seems as though Jeff has been successful, he's got the touch, and Clare is asleep, for now. Let’s hope she sleeps well tonight and has a better day tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment