When people ask me why I would want to move so far from the
city and exclaim how I must hate the drive I simply reply with a smile and say
that it’s the quality of life I prefer.
Yes, I hope to live for many years and watch my children grow and maybe
even seen a grandchild or two, but frankly the quality of my life is more
important to me than the quantity.
I was reminded of this today as we drove to the grocery
store when we saw a herd of elk crossing the highway. Traffic had come to a stop to allow the elk
to cross; it was probably only a back up of 5 or 8 cars, nothing to get worked
up about. I rolled the window down so
Clare could see the elk, which she had already pointed out and took a quick
picture.
As soon as the elk crossed a car honked its horn at me and revved
it’s engine as it passed; the driver of the car was throwing his hands up and
making an ugly face at me. I smiled at
him. I’m sorry that his life is one that
he is in such a hurry that he can’t enjoy seeing a herd of elk pass and take in
the beauty that is our world. I hope he
safely got to wherever he was going in such a hurry; he missed some pretty
amazing elk.
On our way home I noticed a number of cars pulled over on
the side of the road up above the playground that Clare enjoys, I wondered what
they were looking at so we went to look.
I guess the elk just wanted to play a little ball this afternoon. Amanda counted nearly 50 of them.
I’ll never grow tired of the scenery where we live, I can
get lost looking out the window; I love it.
We are so fortunate to live up here, it’s an experience I never thought
I’d be able to have and am so grateful for.
I am excited to watch Clare grow up and experience everything there is
up here. Yes we’ll have to load her bike
in the car to go someplace where she can learn to ride, but that’s a fair trade
in my mind. Not every little kid has
horses in her backyard, hummingbirds that fly around her house, elk, deer, fox
and other wildlife right outside her window.
I’m grateful for my life today.
No comments:
Post a Comment