Today was Clare’s first day of school Child Discovery Time
preschool. We’re fortunate that there is
such a wonderful preschool program at the Rec. center where I work, and even
more fortunate that there was space for her in the Tuesday/Thursday 9-11:30
class. I am confident that this is a
wonderful program and Clare will do well, once she gets over the first few days
she’ll love it.
We’ve been talking about going to school and preparing her for today. Last week she and I bought her school supplies, 1 box of wipes, 1 bottle of Elmer’s glue, and 9 swim diapers. I couldn’t help but get excited looking around the school supply department at Target, there’s something about new pens that just gets me going. One thing Clare is very much looking forward to, and likes to talk about, is riding the school bus. Yesterday she was talking about how the school bus would take her to school today, I hated to break her heart telling her that unfortunately school busses didn’t go to her school, maybe in 3 more years she’ll get to finally ride the school bus.
This morning when I walked into her room she was lying there
with Bunny and holding her baby. She
looked so perfect, and was so happy to see me walk in the room. I asked her if she remembered what today was,
she was beyond excited and yelled ‘I get to ride the bus to school!’ I reminded her that unfortunately she
wouldn’t be riding the bus but rather I would take her to school, she was fine
with this and exclaimed that she wanted to wear a pretty dress! She got dressed and then fixed herself a
waffle while I did her Mama Tails. It
was a great morning and I loved seeing her so excited.
Before leaving for school I suggested taking pictures
outside to send to GG, Pawpaw, Grammy and Grampy. I went with the mountain background, our front door isn't nearly as pleasing to the eye.
When we arrived at the Rec. center she asked we were going
to my work, I reminded her that her school was at my work. We parked in the back and made our way to the
classroom. I knew that she would know
three other kids, Kinnan and Lily also go to Karen’s, and Kennah is the
daughter of one of Jeff’s softball teammates and also happens to be the
granddaughter of our executive director.
Fortunately Kennah and her mom Tarah, and baby brother Easton, were
walking up as we arrived, it was nice to see a friendly face on the first day
of school. Clare and Kennah immediately
started talking; I think Clare felt a little more at ease seeing someone she
knew. It was even more reassuring to see
Kinnan and Lily walk up, she loves to play with Lily and wanted to hold her
packpack just like her.
Kennah and Clare
Kinnan, Lily and Clare - Karen's Kids
Kennah and Clare testing out the water fountain as we waited.
This is the best picture of the morning, minus the little boy photo bombing it :/
We waited in the hallway until a few minutes before nine
when Ms. Shaddy opened the door. Clare
walked in without hesitation and immediately began playing with the babies,
kitchens, ironing board and camera. I
hardly had a moment to take a picture of her with her cubby before she was off
and playing. Clare has her own cubby
with her name on it, and it’s spelled right!
I hung her packpack in her cubby and handed the teacher her school
supplies. I tried to convince her to
smile for the camera but she was too busy playing, it was all I could do to
keep her still long enough to pin her nametag on her.
Cheese Mama!!
After a few more minutes of trying to get her picture I
decided I should just leave, I figured if I left while she was happy maybe she
wouldn’t mind and we’d get thru the day without tears. So, I asked her for a hug and kiss and told
her how proud I was of her and how much I loved her. She gave me a hug and ran back to the play
kitchen. I left the room and headed back
to my office 40 yards away. This is
when the first time mom nerves got me, I just left my little girl in a
classroom, and she’s going to school! I
shouldn’t have, but I wanted to go check on her. When I walked by the room I didn’t see her,
until the teacher carried her out of the bathroom with huge alligator tears
running down her face. I quickly ducked
so she wouldn’t see me and waited around the corner where I could see thru the
window. She wasn’t the loudest kid,
Julian was having a real hard time, and so was his mom who was sitting in the
hall. I watched for a few more minutes,
Mrs. Abbas tried to interest her in a toy and then walked over to the fish
tank. I decided to be the stronger of
the two of us and walk away, I knew she would be fine, and plus Ms. Shaddy had
officially closed the door.
I texted my Mom and GG on my way back to my office, letting
them know that she was in her classroom and had officially started her first
first day of school. I called Jeff and
let him know she was upset and to please be early to pick her up, of course the
one day a month when I have a meeting somewhere else was today so I wasn’t able
to be there to pick her up.
I kept checking my phone anxious for a message from Jeff
about how the pickup went, finally at 12:01 I got a message saying that she had
happily walked on the wall outside the Rec. center on their way to the car, I
took that to be a victory walk of sorts.
When I asked if the teacher had anything to report he said that
apparently she’d gotten her Bunny out of her packpack and was fine after that. She gave Jeff her very first art project, a packpack
that she decorated with some paper, it’s absolutely beautiful and I’ve put it
on the fridge. I’m sure there will be lots of art projects in her future and I
can’t wait to make room on the wall for all of them.
All in all it was a successful first day of school and she
says she wants to go back on Thursday. I
think we’ll leave Bunny in my office, I’m sure she’ll have some important work
to do while Clare is in class and will be very happy to see her when she’s
done.





Sounds like a great first day!
ReplyDelete