Friday, August 3, 2012

Museum Monday


This past Monday I had to work, so Jeff took the day off to stay with Clare.  Fortunately, I was able to leave early and join them for the afternoon.  Jeff sent a text asking if I’d be interested in going to the zoo or museum, of course I jumped at the opportunity.   With the clouds starting to turn grey we decided the museum would be a safer choice than the zoo, we didn’t want to deal with getting rained on while looking at the zebras. 

Some of the exhibits had things to touch, like the horns of these big horn sheep. 

















Look Dada, it's our backyard!

















Goats!!!

















Clare is demonstrating what a beaver does with it's tail, it 'slaps!' the water.

















Look Grampy, pronghorns!!


















Pushing the button for the elk call was pretty fun, she must have pushed it a dozen times.  She was talking about the elk and an older woman asked us how old she was and guessing she must be three, or four.  She was shocked to hear she was only two.  Jeff kindly explained that we see elk everyday so she knows what they are.  

















Brown bear brown bear, what do you see?


















Finally zebras!  Clare talked about wanting to see the zebras from the moment we said we were going to the museum, I wasn't sure what I was going to say if they didn't have any.  This exhibit had a number of animals and their babies, along with a number of piles of poop.  Clare kept pointing out the poop and saying that the baby forgot to tell their mama that it needed to go potty, because you poop in the potty.  Fortunately there wasn't anyone else in this area of the exhibit to hear all about how the baby zebra needed to tell it's mama it needed to go potty.  


















There was a small children's Discovery Zone that was packed with kids and things to do.  I think it was a little overwhelming with so many kids, although Clare did have fun playing the piano.


















The rock and mineral exhibit wasn't as intriguing to Clare, although I did get her to stop long enough for a picture for her Grandma Evans.  I told Jeff I felt like I was at my grandparents home looking at all the rocks and minerals.  They had a selection of opals that made me think of my Grandma, she wears an opal ring that I've always thought was pretty and I can remember her letting me play with it when I was little.


















Maybe it was the fourth parking space from the door, or that the school groups had already left, but we had an excellent time and enjoyed walking around and seeing all the animals and exhibits.  We started our visit with a stop in the café, they are pretty proud of their food, next time we’ll know to pack our own.    If you asked Clare what her favorite part was it would probably be seeing the zebras or riding the escalator, she loves riding the escalator. 

On our way out I decided we had such a great time that we should apply our ticket purchase towards an annual membership, two more visits and it will be paid for.  I can see us visiting the museum again as something to do on a cold winter weekend or afternoon activity.  I also think Grammy, Grampy, GG and Pawpaw would enjoy the museum; it’s a good thing we got a few guest passes with our membership. 

No comments:

Post a Comment