Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kansas

Clare went on her first road trip, a trip to Missouri to visit some of 'her people'. Unfortunately driving to Missouri involves driving thru Kansas. She discovered that it’s hot, flat and boring. We decided to leave in the afternoon and drive after the sun went down, this way it wasn’t as hot and there wasn’t as much traffic. Clare did very well in the car, she slept 90% of the time and only had one melt down due to hunger and boredom.

There was some of this... She's covered like that because I am convinced she gets car sick, because I was prepared she didn't get sick, thank goodness!

A little of this...

But mostly this...

Our first stop was in Colby, the Oasis on the Plaines. I’m not sure it’s really an oasis, but that’s what the sign said. We left mid 80 degree weather in Colorado and got out of the car in Colby to insanely hot and humid weather, reminded me why I moved from the Midwest!

That would be the Conoco station in Colby.

After getting back in the car Clare had a meltdown. I was driving at this point and it broke my heart to hear her so unhappy in the backseat, I felt helpless. Jeff did his best to console her, but it was one of those moments where nothing was going to make her happy. I somehow held it together and didn’t pull over or start crying myself. My poor little girl was so unhappy and tired. She did eventually calm down and fall back asleep, but that didn’t stop us from stopping again in Hays for another rest and some dinner. After Hays things were much better, we didn’t stop again until the infamous Quick Trip in El Dorado. Another 3 hours in the car and we were finally at Grandma and Grandpas, and it was only 3:45am!

Kansas is one of those things that is a necessary means to an end, nobody really enjoys it but it’s worth it. While it makes for a long day it is nice to drive at night, I think Jeff has the right idea on that.

Jeff hard at work, we couldn't get out of Kansas fast enough!

1 comment:

  1. Um...seriously? How are you going to slam on my home state like that? Honestly, I get it, from outside Denver to Salina is horrible. BUT...I'm from God's country-Lawrence, Kansas, home of the JAYHAWKS! You cut off at Salina probably and headed South...so you missed visiting God's other home in Lawrence.

    ; ) Enjoy your trip & See you soon!
    ~Melissa & McClellan

    ReplyDelete