Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sunny Day PSA


I try not to push my beliefs on others, I’d never claim to know everything about anything; but tonight I feel compelled to step on a soapbox, so humor me for a few minutes.  

I’ve spent the last 17 years working around pools, and the last 32 enjoying the water both leisurely and competitively, to say I’ve spent more hours at a pool than anyplace else wouldn’t be too far from the truth.  I’ve had my share of tans and sunburns, I’ve sought that perfect sun kissed look and ‘worked’ on getting rid of tan lines.  I liked my Vitamin D.  

Now, that all said, I can’t stress enough the importance of being sun safe.  If you’ve ever seen me then you know I have fair skin, dark eyes and lighter hair, a perfect recipe for a sunburn at the fist sight of the spring sun.   I worry about my left arm in the sun when I drive with the window down and can feel my left ear burn as I drive and enjoy the warm sun.  Today, I went back upstairs to put sunblock on my face before leaving, and tonight I bought another bottle. 

I’m loving this beautiful warm spring weather, don’t get me wrong, but I need to remember to be safe and wear sunblock, or better yet wear long pants and long sleeve shirts.  I also need to be Clare’s advocate for sun safety; she’s just like me with fair skin, light hair and dark eyes. Thankfully Clare doesn’t mind wearing sunglasses and her sunhat.  I’ve bought her the cutest swimsuit for this summer, a long sleeve rash guard with SPF 30 and cute little bottoms to go with it, oh and the hat to match!  She will be the cutest little girl at the pool, hands down!  I have yet to find a long sleeve shirt for myself to wear in the pool, luckily I still have 73 days to find one. 

In addition to the sunblock, hats, long pants, shirts, ad sunglasses I make a point to monitor my skin on a regular basis.  Not only do I visit my favorite Dermatologist every three months but also I have her mark spots she notices and then take pictures so I can refer back to them and note any changes.  If you’ve never had a full body skin check, do me a favor and schedule one, it takes 10 minutes and I promise it doesn’t hurt (now the biopsy does hurt, but hopefully you don’t need any); you never know, you may have a mole between your toes! 

OK, I’m stepping down now. 

I left work early today, by 2:00 I’d had enough and made the decision that I would be much happier spending the afternoon with my little Lady at the park, with sunhats, sunglasses and sunblock of course.  I got to Karen’s and she was still napping, although hadn’t been napping for long.  Clare was excited to see me and even more excited to go to the park.  We had a great time, Jeff met us there and we enjoyed the beautiful afternoon as a family.  I love afternoons like these; they can make any bad day better in an instant.  






















Have you ever seen a sweeter lady bug?


No comments:

Post a Comment