Saturday, August 27, 2011

Staycation Vacation

This week Clare and I took a staycation; a week of no schedules, a week without fighting Arapahoe Rd traffic, a week together at home, it was wonderful.  My parents had planned to come out this week to help us move, but since we didn’t move it was a week of shopping, eating good food, napping, more shopping, and enjoy each other’s company.

Grammy and Grampy arrived on Sunday morning so we all met at Lucile’s for some brunch.  I had heard great things about Lucile’s and figured it was worth a try, I think our one visit will be enough, I’m not sure what all the hype was about.  Clare enjoyed a pancake and some strawberries before heading over to the play area.  There was a huge space with nothing in it but toys; it was great for the adults as we were all able to chat without Clare being bored. After brunch it was back to the house for lounging around and naps for anyone interested, it was a very relaxing day.

















Clare is absolutely in love with books, she can’t read enough and anyone she can get to read to her is her best friend.  Fortunately Grampy was more than happy to read anything and everything. 






















Reading about the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library which Grammy and Grampy visited on their way.






















Catching up on the latest Wellington news.






















Karen let Clare borrow her favorite DVD for the week; it’s full of children’s songs.  The DVD mesmerized Clare; I think her favorite song was The Wheels On The Bus. 


















Grammy and Grampy never drive out with an empty car, this time they brought a wagon, a tricycle and a doll stroller from Maggie and Jack; hand-me-downs are great!  Clare loves the wagon; she especially likes it when someone pushes her, Grampy was more than happy to push her across the room.  When nobody is pushing her she loads it up with toys and pushes it around the living room, tonight she tried standing up in the wagon, she wasn’t so happy when Jeff and I both told her ‘no’.  
























Look out Grammy, here I come!!

























Monday was when we really got things going, Grammy and Grampy are early risers, so they were ready to go when Clare woke up.  After breakfast we loaded up and headed to the mall for a little shopping.  Clare is an excellent shopping partner, she’s very observant and happy to people watch from her stroller while others shop.  We had lots of fun at Vera Bradley, Hanna Anderson, American Girl, Orvis and Lego.  American Girl was by far Clare’s favorite store, they had the Bitty Babies out so she could play with them and push them in their strollers; she was having so much fun she didn’t want to leave.  Clare was an extremely lucky little girl and Grammy got her her very own Bitty Baby, she is Clare’s new favorite baby. 

Tuesday was another busy day filled with outlet shopping.  Clare and Grampy enjoyed walking around while Grammy and I shopped.  I wanted to get Clare another pair of shoes since we’re down to one pair.  I found two pairs at the Stride Rite outlet so I bought them, it will be a while before she can wear them but when she does she’ll be walking in style.  Clare wasn’t with me when I bought the shoes so I took her back in the store to try and measure her foot, hoping I’d bought the right size.  As soon as I got her socks and shoes off she lost her mind, she was absolutely horrified of the foot-measuring thing.  So, I hope these fit this fall J I asked Jeff to look at them and make sure he was alright with them, his first comment was that they looked like my shoes, I guess that’s what happens when I do the shopping. 

After lunch and a long nap we all headed out for an evening of celebration.  Tuesday was our 3rd Wedding Anniversary and to celebrate we all went to the Rockies game.  Meredith and Ryan were in town so they joined us, as did Ed and Nancy who also share an August 23rd wedding anniversary – 36 years.  We met Meredith and Ryan at a restaurant before the game, it was so nice to have a drink and catch up, I wish we were able to get together more often. 






















The game was a lot of fun, we had plenty of room in the shade and we all enjoyed each other’s company.  I wish that we were able to get to more games; we always have a good time.

Wednesday we hit REI and the Life Is Good store, two favorites that aren’t anywhere close to home.  LIG was having a sale plus an extra 10% if you were wearing LIG, good thing it’s all I wear!  Unfortunately they didn’t have anything in Clare’s size, maybe next year she’ll be able to dress more like her mama with a positive message on her shirt. 

On our way back home we stopped at the mall, Grammy decided she wanted a different Vera print and Grampy thought Clare would enjoy her own iPad.  So, while Grampy and I figured out the iPad details Grammy and Clare headed to Vera, where they learned the print she wanted was only a sample and wasn’t available until January, what a huge bummer!  The iPad set up took a little time so Grampy graciously said he’d wait with it while we ladies headed to get some lunch.  Clare was clearly getting tired but ate a few chicken nuggets and some juice before we headed home for a nap.

Grammy brought some animal crackers with her that she was happy to share with Clare while watching some morning cartoons. 


















Jeff had to work all week, but he did come home early each day, it doesn’t take much to convince him to work a short day.  Wednesday we had decided to eat at home, and thankfully Jeff was happy to cook.  My family is always impressed with his cooking; he really wows them with his skill.  When Clare and I got home he was preparing a beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, and roasting garlic for a garlic herb butter to go with the bread.  It was another excellent meal by Chef Jeff, my Dad said it was one of the best meals he’d had in a long time.  I’m so fortunate to have such an amazing personal chef.

Thursday was a day of rest.  Grammy and Grampy got up early and headed for Mt. Evans, they were the first to summit the 14’er, early bird gets the best view.  Clare and I hung around home and ran a few quick errands before napping the afternoon away. 


















It was a wonderful week; I loved every minute of staying home with Clare and hanging out with my parents.  Grammy and Grampy left early Friday morning so Clare and I did our best to get back to our normal routine, a short day with Karen for Clare and a short day at work for me.  I found myself missing Clare even more than usual; I wish I could spend everyday at home with her.

Our next visit with Grammy and Grampy will be in a few weeks when we go to Ohio for a football game; Jeff requested that we not go to Ohio when it was -20, so football season it is.  I always look forward to our visits, we’re sure to have fun, eat well and enjoy each other’s company.

No comments:

Post a Comment