Sunday, April 17, 2011

Birthday Party

Clare’s First Birthday party was on Saturday, we decided Saturday would be easier even if it wasn’t her actual Birthday; my parents were scheduled to leave on Saturday evening and we had tickets for the Rockies on Sunday so Saturday just made more sense.  We didn’t do anything over the top, no clowns or pony rides, just good food, a few friends, some balloons and cake.  It was very low key; just our style.

I woke up early to get the house clean and finish a few things before my parents arrived for the day.  Once my parents showed up my Mom and I went out for balloons and flowers.  I thought that picking up a few balloons would be easy, little did I know you need to pre-order your balloons or you’ll have to wait, oh well, 20 minutes wondering around Party City waiting for her balloons was worth the look on her face and the sound of her laugh.  Clare loved her balloons, they were by far worth the $15 and 20 minutes, they have provided many laughs.
















I decided to make Clare’s cake, I figured it would be a little more memorable than a cake from the grocery store.  Friday night I put them in the oven to bake and planned to frost them before going to bed.  I finally got around to frosting them only to discover that one layer wouldn’t come out of the pan despite my greasing and flouring before baking.  I decided one layer would be fine; she didn’t need a huge cake anyway.  I used our Hadley Very Happy Birthday plate for her cake; it wouldn’t be a Birthday without using that plate. I can remember my Mom making our Birthday cakes on this plate and feeling special, we only used that plate five times a year; I hope to be able to create a similar memory for our family.  Next year I’ll use the same plate for her cake, but she’ll use her Birthday plate for her piece of cake. 

Please forgive my singing, Uncle Peter wasn't here to lead us in song. 


I labored over what to get Clare for her First Birthday, I didn’t want to give her a toy that would be played with and eventually forgotten, I wanted to give her something memorable; a Hadley Birthday plate is what I finally decided on.  I ordered it in March and hoped it would arrive in time; thankfully it came in three weeks rather than the estimated six. My brother, sister and I all have a Birthday plates and I can remember eating cake off of mine every year, I always thought it was extra special to have my very own plate for Birthday cake.  Until next year her plate will sit on display over the cabinets with our Anniversary plate, I may even add my Birthday plate to the display if I can find it.
















Clare wasn’t so sure about the cake at first, she needed a little encouragement when it came to diving in, thankfully Grammy was there to help her blow out her candle and show her how to taste the frosting.  After a few hesitant tastes she got the hang of it, grabbing handfuls and sufficiently getting it all over her face; she even shared her cake with Dada.  I’d say that Clare did a good job with her first cake; she had it all over her face, in her hair, and on her shirt.  It was clearly nap time after she had her cake, she was rubbing her eyes with frosting all over her hands; we decided a quick bath before a nap was the best plan of action.
















Grammy was happy to help blow out the candle.

















Is this really what I'm supposed to do Dada?

















Anyone else want some?
















Dada, want some cake?


















We didn’t invite a long list of people; we kept it small, which I think worked out well.  Melissa, Matt and McClellan all came, Clare and McClellan had a good time playing with all the toys.  Melissa and I both noted that it was the first time that Clare and McClellan had actually played together, typically they are in their strollers when we see each other, it was fun to watch them interact.  






















Sarah Z. also came, Jason was on a bike ride, but she brought Talon with her (Talon is due to be born in July).  I haven’t seen Sarah in a few weeks, it was fun to see her, and it won’t be long before she is hosting a First Birthday party.  Affton and Whitney also stopped by; they both had a busy Saturday so they missed the big cake eating and song singing, regardless it was fun to have them there to help Clare celebrate.  All in all it wasn’t too many people but that’s alright; it’s not about the size of the party. 

After the party guests left, the mess was cleaned up, and we all took a nap of sorts Clare opened her cards and gifts.  Typically I don’t like to open anything before my Birthday, I don’t like having nothing to open on my actual Birthday, but Jeff thought it would be better to do it on Saturday than during our busy Sunday.  Clare received many wonderful gifts and lots of cards from all over; she was a very spoiled little girl.  The eggs from Maggie and Jack were a hit, she especially enjoyed playing with them with Uncle A, he can really make her laugh.  The lamb that Grammy and Grampy bought her at the toy store on Friday was also a huge hit; it’s so soft and sweet.  The finger puppets were a hit as well, she laughed each time the bumblebee buzzed up and touched her on the cheek. Greg and Gail sent a box full of clothes and books, the slinky was a huge hit; she loves to sit on the bottom bookshelf and play with it.  Meredith sent her a new book, Cecily and the 9 silly monkeys, a Curious George book we didn’t have!  She also sent an Air Force bib; Clare is always looking to expand her college apparel collection J 

Even an envelope can be fun when Uncle A is around! 


















It was by far the best First Birthday party I’ve ever been a part of, I wouldn’t have changed a thing.  Clare was perfect and seemed to enjoy herself.  The balloons were a hit, the cake was tasty, the gifts were enjoyed, the cards were fun to play with, and the company was excellent.  

I’m glad we had a little party, I’d thought about not doing anything, I think had we not done anything I would have been disappointed later.  I’m sure there will be a year when she wants to have her friends come to her party, we’ll go shopping for party favors and we’ll pay some outrageous amount for a party which she’ll think is the greatest thing ever.  I can’t wait to do that for her, but until then we’ll be having Birthday’s at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment