Monday, December 6, 2010

Rubber Ducky You're The One...

Clare generally enjoys bath time; we sing, talk, laugh and occasionally just sit and relax after a long day. While some don’t, we do take a bath every evening, it’s part of our routine, which she knows well, and if we have a bath too early it can be a recipe for disaster.

Recently, she’s been looking a little cramped in the little plastic tub, so I decided to step it up and get an inflatable ducky tub, a transition tub if you will. I went to Babies R Us last week and picked one up, along with a few other items, and brought it home excited for bath time. I blew it up and discovered that there was a ‘quacker’ in the bill, squeeze the bill and it quacks, how fun! Clare looked skeptical at first; we even gave it a dry run in the living room, she wasn’t quite sure what to think.

Bath time came and I filled it up with warm soapy water, a few letters and our bunny hand puppet washcloth; it looked very inviting. We got Clare ready for her bath, did our usually giggling routine on the way to the tub and slowly dipped her toes in. It wasn’t until both feet were in the tub that she completely lost it, full blow screaming and real tears; she didn’t even want to sit down. So, our maiden voyage in the ducky tub was a quick one.

I wondered if maybe Clare was just over tired and didn’t want to try something new that night, surely the second try would be better! So, the next night I filled it up with warm water (a little warmer than the night before, maybe it was too cold), left the toys on the side and put the bunny hand puppet on the ducks head so she could see it. We got ready for our bath and Jeff brought her into the bathroom; this time she lost it before she even dipped her toes. Hmmmm, could it be that she doesn’t like the duck tub?? Jeff thinks maybe the size of its head is scary.

Third times a charm, right?? Tonight I thought, hmm, maybe I’ll bring the tub downstairs and let her warm up to the idea. As you can see, she wasn’t into it, even in the living room. Rubber Ducky, you may be the one making bath time lots of fun, but not at this house. I’ve retired the ducky tub to the spare bedroom where he’ll deflate and get packed away; maybe he’ll make bath time lots of fun for the next kid.

Do you suppose someday she'll wonder why I sat there taking pictures, rather than helping her?

Dada will save you!!

Sorry buddy, you aren't the one for us.

Ahhh, much better. Change is hard sometimes.

Clean Clare!


1 comment:

  1. Too funny - Poor Clare being tortured by the duck! Grace loved hers...maybe she will like him soon.

    ReplyDelete