A short entry on this 4th of July evening, not
because I don’t have much to share but because our trip is quickly approaching
and in true Evans fashion I’m in a complete swivit about everything that I need
to do.
The 4h of July used to be one of my most favorite
holidays. Mornings started early with
either swim practice or the UA wake-up van driving around announcing the
arrival of the biggest day of the year.
It was always a great day, even if I was working, the parade was always
something to see and talk about; who was on what float and ‘did you see…’
conversations over potato salad and hamburgers.
I’m sure my Mom would tell you about the year I rode my bike in the
parade wearing jellies, I made it the entire parade route in those shoes I’ll
have you know. I hope to get back to UA
for the 4th sometime soon, maybe next year we’ll make the trip.
Since moving to Colorado I’ve missed the 4th of
July a lot, there just isn’t a celebration out here like there is at home. So, back in January when I was asked if I
wanted to help with the 4th of July celebration I welcomed the opportunity
and said yes, of course! Little did I
know what I was getting myself into as the coordinator of the annual fishing
derby. I’ll never forget the first organizational
meeting; one thought kept running thru my mind, ‘gee, I bet it would be helpful
if I’d actually been to this event before being on the planning committee’. Despite my never having been to the event I
think the derby when off without a hitch.
I have lots of thoughts for next year and look forward to doing it
again.
Jeff and Clare both slept in and arrived at the pond just in
time to cast a few lines and see what it was all about. Unfortunately they didn’t catch any fish, not
many people did because it was so hot, but I think Clare had fun anyway. I think she’ll be ready to wow Tommy with her
casting skills next week when we visit Joplin.
She loved reeling in the line, even if there wasn't a fish on the end.
I absolutely love these two pictures, they melt my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment