Thursday, November 8, 2012

No Handprints


I don’t recall posting about this originally, so here’s a little backstory to explain the significance of this picture.

Within the first few weeks of school there was an art project that consisted of the teachers painting each child’s foot white and then making a ghost footprint for Halloween.   Jeff was doing pick up and was told that Clare flipped out at the idea and refused to have her feet painted, Ms. Shaddy suggested maybe we wanted to try something similar at home to get her used to the idea and feeling.  He and I both laughed because she couldn’t be more like us, neither of us would want to paint our feet to make a footprint ghost either.  Another funny thing about the footprint ghosts was that for three days after she talked about how she didn’t want to paint her feet; I would find her in her bed rubbing her feet and saying she didn’t want to paint them.   

So, today as I stood in line waiting for the sign-out book to come down the line I noticed that Ms. Shaddy was handing the daily art project to the first mom and it was two green handprints on a blue piece of paper, I immediately wondered if Clare made any handprints or not.  When Ms. Shaddy handed me her paper we both laughed, I knew it!  Ms. Shaddy said that when it was Clare’s turn she told Ms. Shaddy that she didn’t want to put paint on her hands.  She did however happily participate in the counting activity that followed the handprints. 

Frankly I’m fine with Clare not wanting to make hand or foot prints, it’s not a required skill in life and I’d much rather her not want to cover her limbs in paint, but that’s just me.  GG also thought it was no big deal, nowhere in elementary education is painting your hands/feet necessary.   I’d much rather her be the polite little lady that she is than be covered in paint.

I guess we won’t be making any hand print turkeys or Santa’s this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment