We didn’t get to see Dr. Dan this visit, instead we saw Clare the NP. The moment we got back to room 6 and I started getting Clare undressed she got upset; she knew what was coming. We headed over to the scale and met our nurse Diana for the official weigh in. At 18 months exactly Clare weighed in at 27lbs 7oz and is 33 inches tall with a 49.1 cm head. Clare wasn’t thrilled about sitting on the scale or stretching out on the table, but she survived with the help of Bunny.
NP Clare finally came in the room and said she wanted the nurse to weigh her again, they wanted to double check since she’d gained 5lbs since her last visit. Sure enough, the scale said the same thing; I guess her finally drinking milk paid off! NP Clare wasn’t worried about her weight gain, more surprised. She was also pleasantly surprised by Clare’s overall health, said that she was doing perfectly and had no concerns.
She checked her eyes and asked if we had noticed if her eyes weren’t tracking or if she was having any difficulty seeing, I chuckled and said no, that we would notice something like that and frankly she probably had better eye sight than either Jeff or myself. She gave me a curious look and I explained that I’ve had 4 lazy eye correction surgeries and Jeff has had both corneas replaced. She seemed impressed, not sure if it was in a good way or not, but suggested that maybe we’d want to get Clare’s eyes checked before the age of 2. She went on to explain that normally they don’t suggest eye exams for kids of her age but with our impressive history we should just make sure things are developing normally. So, off to the eye Dr. we’ll go. I wonder if there will be a dancing monkey with cymbals at the end of the room for her to watch, Dr. Rodgers did.
We talked about her development and I answered a questionnaire about how Clare interacts; does she pretend play, does she show us things, does she point purposefully at objects, does she respond to her name, does she get startled by loud noises and other stuff like that, thankfully she passed with flying colors. NP Clare asked how many words she knew, and was pleasantly surprised to hear that we had a list of 89 that she regularly says but we're thinking it she says more like 100. The pamphlet we received at the end of the visit says that kids this age should have a vocabulary of six words; looks like we have a talker on our hands.
The entire time that NP Clare and I were talking Clare was sitting in the chair next to me, playing with Bunny, looking at a book and taking occasional sips of water. NP Clare commented on how well she was sitting there quietly and that we probably didn’t have any disciplinary concerns. I hope that her behavior during the visit continues, hearing that other people think she’s well behaved makes me happy.
Overall NP Clare was happy with how Clare is doing and had no concerns. We talked a little bit about her skin and it looks like she’s just liker her Mama and has eczema. NP Clare did mention that many kids grow out of the eczema by age 2 or 3, frankly I don’t have my hopes up too high, I’m still waiting to ‘grow out of it’; I just hope she doesn’t have the same issues I’ve had with her skin.
Thankfully, we don’t have to go back until her 2 year well visit, I’d prefer to only visit Dr. Dan and NP Clare when we’re well, but knowing they are there just in case is great peace of mind. I like both Dr. Dan and NP Clare a lot, I’m so happy to have found them, I think they are a great fit for our parenting style and I have full faith in them. Plus, hearing that Clare is perfect is always music to my ears and hearing it from medical professionals just makes it all that much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment